Located in the heart of Brunswick’s Old Town Historic District, this late-Victorian house is a design of George Franklin Barber. Barber, an architect based in Knoxville, Tennessee, published a prolific number of house designs via mail order catalogues and magazines. This house, circa 1900, is based on Design No. 7 of his Modern Dwellings and Their Proper Construction (Second Edition).
The exterior of the building retains Barber’s characteristic emphasis on prominent brick chimneys, dormers, and ornamentation. There is a large addition on the rear of the building. Unfortunately, the house has suffered from years of deferred maintenance and neglect. The roof is in fair condition while the exterior siding is in various states of disrepair. The interior of the building has been significantly altered, with the original floorplans changed on both first and second floors. Many of the windows have been broken or removed, however some interior decorative features remain including some of the window trim and mantels. Situated on a full city lot (with street access from front and back) the parcel features .38 acres and includes an existing paved parking lot. The zoning is flexible to allow for several potential uses of the property including mixed use, office or restaurant space, or potentially a bed and breakfast. As a contributing property to the National Register historic district, this property may be eligible for Federal and State historic tax incentives for certified rehabilitations.
Located halfway between Savannah and Jacksonville, Brunswick is one of two deep water ports on Georgia’s coast. Established in 1771, the Old Town District still features the original grid town plan featuring streets and squares. The historic district has a significant collection of historic houses, businesses, and institutional buildings. With a population of approximately 16,000, Brunswick provides an opportunity for historic small town living on the Georgia Coast with direct access to the nearby barrier islands.
About The Georgia Trust Revolving Fund Program:
The Georgia Trust is a nonprofit statewide preservation organization. The Revolving Fund Program was established to provide effective alternatives to demolition or neglect of architecturally and historically significant properties by promoting their rehabilitation and monitoring their preservation in perpetuity. All properties sold through this program have conservation easements in place to ensure the historic integrity of the property is retained. Additionally, buyers are required to sign a Rehabilitation Agreement and all work done to the property must abide by the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. Copies of these documents will be provided by The Georgia Trust for review.
Dennis Lovello, Historic Properties Coordinator
HistoricProperties.com is your source to buy or sell historic real estate - from projects to completed renovations, residential to commercial, Federal to Eclectic.