The historic Tennant-Furr house built in 1830 was among the first farmhouses built in Caroline County. It was built by Mr. William Tennant and later was the family home of Elizabeth Furr for most of the 20th century. Mrs. Furr’s parent’s, the Woolfolks, bought the house in the early 1900 when she was a small girl. She and her husband Bill Furr moved back into the home and lived there until 1997. Several well-planned additions, including a 2006 renovation, transformed the home into one of the area’s most beautiful homes.
The original part of the house was a two-over-two room with side hall. Later additions created a Victorian style home with a front gable with fishscale shingles. The original part of the house has original features such as 10.5’ ceilings, large beautiful mantels and trim, pine floors and 6-over-6 paned windows. In 2006, all electrical was updated, new plumbing was added, and a two-story addition housing a new kitchen, family room and master suite was built with hardwood floors and compatible finishes and ceiling heights. Its welcoming, wide front porch is perfect for rockers and leads to a grand entry with a stunning three-story staircase. Large formal living and dining rooms and a sunroom are balanced by an updated kitchen and inviting family room with a wood-burning fireplace perfect for gatherings. The kitchen is open to a breakfast room with beautiful garden views. The upstairs master suite has a private bath with new claw and ball tub and shower, walk-in-closet, and large windows. Three additional bedrooms (one used as a study with built-in bookcases) and a hall bath are on the second floor. The finished attic with beadboard ceiling is currently a crafts room with plenty of storage. The spacious finished basement houses a studio/work room (or a potential 5th bedroom/office) with a full bath, laundry area and pantry/storage. The home is set on about one private acre with mature trees, grassy lawn, stone patio, covered porches and space for flower and vegetable gardens. There is a brick shed near the site of old outdoor kitchen (since removed), but the owner found a bountiful 19th C. trash pit which she mined with her grandsons, and there are plenty of items left to be discovered!
The home is walking distance to “downtown” Bowling Green, 15 minutes to the new train station at Massaponax, 20 minutes to historic downtown Fredericksburg, and 40 minutes to Richmond. Bowling Green has several 18th and 19th century buildings including the Caroline Courthouse built in 1803, and the Old Mansion dating to 1741. Come visit this relaxing retreat that the whole family will love and own a part of Virginia history! First Showings September 13.
HistoricProperties.com is your source to buy or sell historic real estate - from projects to completed renovations, residential to commercial, Federal to Eclectic.