History surrounded by even more history: this 15,000 sq. ft. building sits just over the historically-restored Lindbergh Viaduct into Reading, Pennsylvania, at the foot of Mount Penn, home to Duryea Drive and the Reading Pagoda. It was built in the 1920s by the Lurie Family as a private residence on 0.7 acres. Zoned as R-3, the property is currently being used as a law office and is eligible for commercial uses. This property consists of two separate buildings. The first is the three-story-plus-basement main building. First and second floors currently consist of 13 offices, 2 conference rooms, a full kitchen, and 2 bathrooms, connected by a beautiful grand staircase leading to a 12-foot stained-glass window. Plumbing infrastructure already exists to create at least 3 additional bathrooms and another kitchen. A third story space could be renovated into even more living quarters. And a basement apartment is complete with kitchen and bathroom, with access to the attached garage. The second building is a detached garage with separate apartment above – designed for two bedrooms, bathroom, and kitchen. Five cars can be stored between the two garages. The rear windows on all floors offer an elevated view of the city of Reading.
Every effort has been made to maintain the historical features of the building. Recent renovations uncovered original hardwood floors. Doors include original pocket doors and handcrafted hardware. Windows feature original arches and most are original leaded glass. Original crown molding lines many of the walls, and original tilework is still featured in the bathrooms. Even the main drawing room’s fireplace is original, with only painting alterations. The grand front staircase is accompanied by an additional back staircase leading to what had originally been servants’ quarters. Modern renovation includes four separately-zoned gas head and air-conditioning.
Approaching its 100th birthday, this historic home was first built by the Lurie Family, the oldest known family tree in the world, which traces its roots definitively to 13th century France and claims King David as its founder in 1037 BC. 1720 Mineral Spring also served as a social club for the Jewish War Veterans and as a bridal dress shop before becoming a law firm in 1992. It is a truly malleable property: easily molded to the needs of its occupants, especially those who appreciate its historic beauty and intricate details.
HistoricProperties.com is your source to buy or sell historic real estate - from projects to completed renovations, residential to commercial, Federal to Eclectic.