Built in 1862, this original Martha's Vineyard Camp Meeting Association cottage was relocated from the Vineyard Highlands area to its current site in 1907. Affectionately referred to as “Talawa”, a Jamaican phrase meaning “small but stalwart”, this cottage is full of history, charm, and original architecture. Set in a very quiet neighborhood, the location is ideal - a short stroll to the library, harbor, shops and restaurants. The interior features bold pops of color, painted pine floors, a modest kitchen, full bath and two bedrooms on the second floor. Enjoy the two wrap-around porches on the first and second floors -- the perfect spot for al fresco dining.
An Oak Bluffs Historical Survey was conducted on the structure in 1978 in which typical campground cottage features were identified such as gothic doors, windows made with Sandwich, MA glass, gingerbread bargeboards, and front and side gables. Updates along the way include a 5-year-old roof, new composite porches, railings and decking 3 years ago, and a total re-wire of the cottage to code. Expansion possibilities with a variance. It is the buyer’s responsibility to upgrade the current cesspool to a Title V system. The cottage being offered turnkey, less a few personal items.
HistoricProperties.com is your source to buy or sell historic real estate - from projects to completed renovations, residential to commercial, Federal to Eclectic.